Oct 18, 2021 Technical Assistance for Net Zero development of Nalanda University Campus, at Rajgir
Nalanda is renowned as one of the world’s oldest known centers for learning. On November 25, 2010, Nalanda University was established as a postgraduate, research-intensive international university. The university is a leader in embracing the transition to clean energy as a Net Zero Energy, Net Zero water and waste campus. USAID has been providing technical assistance to this project since its inception in 2012, initially under PACE-D and now under the MAITREE program.
With USAID MAITREE’s support, Nalanda University has reduced energy and emissions footprint to zero by employing climate-resilient design strategies, energy efficiency, and onsite renewable energy generation.
Achieving high targets for sustainability requires not just the highest level of commitment, but also an integration between various branches of design and construction like master planning, architecture, landscape, air conditioning, plumbing etc. MAITREE Teams’s Technical Assistance brought an experienced team of interdisciplinary experts to support through each stage of the campus design and development:
Master Plan Design Stage
- Assisted in formulating and reviewing the framework for a detailed Near Zero Environmental Management Plan.
- Assisted in review and analysis of the Design Guidelines for Sustainability set by the Master Planner.
- Assisted in analyzing and interpreting the results of various site-related studies with respect to hydrology, climatology, and Environmental Impact Assessment, commissioned by the Master Planner. Also reviewed the design interventions and guidelines in the light of these studies.
- Evolved an integrated set of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) which act as the benchmarks to monitor the performance of the Near Zero Campus.
- Assisted in the review and analysis of all documents prepared by the Master Planner.
Architectural Design Stage
- Assisted in the review and analysis of architectural design of the buildings, BOQs, tenders etc., so that they are consistent with the approved Urban Design Guidelines and the Near Zero Environmental Management Plan.
- Assisted in the review and analysis of the Construction Management Plan from the standpoint of best practices to minimize environmental impact. Also, ensured that the construction was as per sustainable practices through periodic site visits.
Operation and Post-Occupancy Stage
- Based on the KPIs, conducted post-occupancy studies through M&V, to analyze and review the performance of individual buildings as well as the overall campus. Also, provided recommendations to improve performance.